An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to
meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
~ A Chinese Proverb ~

Monday, March 9, 2009

Centuries Apart

Today we left the modern and under major construction city of Shanghai. By the year 2012 there will 3000 buildings over 30 floors high. Shanghai is expensive compared to the rest of the country, with an average (small by our standards) apartment/condo costing as much as an average home in our neck of the woods. There is so much construction that there is a cloud of dust in the air and grit in your mouth. Yuck!
Shanghai at night
In just under 2 hours we reached the ancient water city of Wuzhen. In the particular corridor of this city we visited we were tourists, yet over 300 families still live in homes along the waterways. Their life was very traditional. While people had modern conveniences such as electricity they continue to wash their clothes in the river/canal.
As I strolled down a narrow walkway I met a little boy. A moment later I went back and gave him a set of pins. With apprehension and curiosity he accepted the gift and said thank you in English.
We watched a shadow puppet show about the ancient Monkey King. The performers were all senior citizens. They played simple instruments, spoke and sang from behind an illuminated screen. R.X. thought they should maybe get some singing lessons as their pitch was at times like screeching.
We went to a museum about beds. Let me tell you I didn't know beds were so significant and had a lot to do with status. However, I'm not sure I would be comfortable having my bed chamber right beside that of my husband's concubines as was done in the earlier dynasties.S.J. got to row one of the boats as we returned to where we had started. He is now an expert! It was so relaxing, I could have spent more time on the canal.This is a real home along the canal. The door was open and no one was around. I guess theft isn't a problem here. This appears to be a more wealthy home as in other homes we didn't see T.V. or fancy furniture. Things were much more simple.

The Girls

Something to thing about, I guess...

After visiting Wuzhen we went to Hangzhou. We will stay here for two days. This is the city where we met S.S. for the first time. S.S. and I went in search of the government building where we went to pick her up. No luck was to be had as the building has been torn down. However, we took this picture as a memory of what used to be.

S.S. seems very happy and interested in every little detail I share with her. Being back in Hangzhou brings back incredible memories for me. Although everything has changed in this city of 3 million it amazes me that I remember so much. After supper we walked to the famous West Lake to watch a fountain display put to music. It was beautiful. Outside the restaurant that we ate at. You're guess is as good as mine as to what we had for supper. I must admit that by now I'm having a craving for some comfort foods like bread and mashed potatoes.

New friends. Believe it or not the girl on the left and S.S. are the same age and the smallest girl and R.X. are the same age. R.X. and her new friend spell trouble as they play like little girls should, laugh a lot and really do miss some important instructions...like staying away from the edge of the lake! We were all in bed by 9:30 tonight but as usual I'm up at 3:00 am thinking about what an amazing and exhausting time of my life I'm having. Maybe now that I've written things down I can get some more sleep. Good night!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Good morning! I hope that writing it down helped you get some sleep.

Now it's my turn to say "good night".

Anonymous said...

The trip is so exciting to read about ..... although I'm sure I can't truly appreciate how amazing it must be to experience. Heather, I love the picture of you giving the pins to the little boy.. it is definitely 'classic Heather', it's very touching!

Take Care!